The REAL Women of Eastside Fitness, Season 2 – Dianne W.
By Darnelle Tuesday, 10 December 2013
Dianne (pictured on the right) is another busy mom who completely impresses us. She makes time to ride her bike, run, lift weights and do yoga despite having a career as a lawyer and being mom to a creative young son. Doing a little bit of everything, consistently, over time has given her a well rounded and healthy fitness baseline. She loves a challenge and often tackles inconceivably long distance bike events such as the Santa Rosa Gran Fondo where she rode 103 miles up some very large mountains! Yes…in one day!
What is your favorite type of exercise?
I can’t limit it to one. My favorite types of exercise involve being outside: downhill skiing, x country skiing, swimming in a lake, running, biking, hiking.
What is your least favorite exercise?
Probably weight lifting, or pushup, situps….
Tell us about a typical day in your life?
Its not that exciting! The morning routine involves some combination of: getting a snuggle in with my son, perhaps reading in bed with him, trying to incorporate some movement (doing a sun salutation at the moment) making lunches, cycling him to school and me to work, work, cycling home, making dinner, night time homework routine and reading, maybe a workout, and maybe, just maybe, when it is quiet, doing some sewing (I LOVE to make things).
What or who inspires you?
My friends and family inspire me. I learn something from all of them, each are different, and am very grateful for them.
What is your favorite healthy food?
Just one? Roasted Brussels sprouts, or breakfast of chia seeds, banana and almond milk. I also LOVE chunky salads with cabbage and seeds….
What is your favorite “indulgent” food?
Jeez! At the moment, its truffle oil (in eggs, in pasta…), bacon, chocolate, gummy bears….(I’m getting hungry just writing this…must rush off and find some food!)
If you were stuck with only one book and one movie they would be?
Really, can’t I bring two books with me to this island? I’m going to bring two books and skip the movie. God of Small things, and anything by Margaret Lawrence.
Quote to live by?
At the moment, what resonates with me is pausing for beauty – trying to find joy in everyday things and noticing the small miracles of everyday life and allowing yourself to be touched by them. So, two quotes are hanging in my office:
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other as though everything is a miracle.” [Albert Einstein]
“Don’t sit on the porch. Get out and walk in the rain.” [Kabir]
Personal fitness goals for the coming year, life?
A “road trip” fondo with friends next summer or fall, hopefully.
Keep at it Dianne! And despite claiming to hate push ups, we have heard through the grapevine that you do them in your office in your lawyer suit! We would love a photo of that by the way… And congratulations on completing your second Commit to Fit Challenge with us. 4 more days until the end of the 40 Days of Sun Salutations is finished.
Christmas Eve Yoga
By Darnelle Monday, 9 December 2013
Tuesday December 24th
2:30pm – 4pm
Join your family, friends and neighbours at our 3rd annual complimentary Christmas Eve class. This class will be a combination of gentle stretches and breathing to get us ready for the special day. It’s our way of celebrating with our Eastside Fitness family. RSVP
Christmas in South Hill – December 14th
By Darnelle Tuesday, 19 November 2013
Merry Fitness to All
So much going on at the studio on December 14th. We want you to be ready!
The South Hill BIA is hosting it’s annual Christmas in South Hill campaign. Each day throughout the month of December, a different business on our portion of the evolving Fraser Street will be featured. The featured business will do its part to make sure the spirit of the holiday season is alive and well in our neighbourhood. Check the list to see which businesses are featured on which days. Eastside Fitness will be featured on December 14th!
- Join us at 12pm for a special group Sun Salutation practice to celebrate the end of our Commit to Fit Challenge. We will be attempting 108 Sun Salutations but you can join in or stop at any time
- Help us to Decorate the Fitness Tree. We decorate our tree with health and fitness goals for the coming year.
- Enjoy Healthy and Yummy Holiday Treats.
- Give the Gift of Fitness. Pick up some stocking gifts that are healthy, local, environmentally friendly and fun! Once again, we will be having our Christmas BOGO Sale -buy one and get one half price. The BOGO sale is ONE DAY ONLY. Purchase any of our passes and use for yourself or gift to a friend. BOGO passes will be available online just in case you can’t make it in that day.
- There are also regular classes on at the studio that day. FitCamp at 8:30am and 9:45am with Jessi and Hatha Yoga at 4pm with Pia.
Special shopping includes:
- BOGO on 3 month unlimited, 1 month unlimited and 6 pack passes
- Bonus Class Pack with Personal Training - purchase your next 10 training sessions and receive 3 free classes or 6 free with group training
- 15% Off Eastside Fitness hoodies, running tops, flashdance tops and Be Present yoga pants
- Stocking Stuffers – Eastside Fitness quote magnets $1.50 , headbands $12.00, Eastside Fitness gift cards $15, $25, $50, $100
We hope everyone can make it to celebrate with us!